RSS
Thoughts by Astro. Powered by Blogger.

Indy Half Recap and More

Last weekend was the Indy mini. I went and ran with 30618 of the best finishers I could find. It was cool but humid and a little sprinkle at the end. This is the one of the few races I have run multiple times. It is one I happen to enjoy running.
I went there with a friend (we'll call him Rogue) and promptly proceeded to the bar across the street The Wild Beaver Saloon A rustic, simple place with an interesting dress code for the female staff. Pants cut out from the waist band down to mid thigh only attached to the waist at the seams. With that look the ladies wore swimsuit bottoms, panties or what-not with fishnet and leather bras.  Not a bad place. Of course, we had a few beers and then off to Hard Rock for dinner. Not ready to call it a night, we went back to the Beaver for some carb-loading.

Beer does have carbs right? After 5 or 6 we walked across to the hotel for a good night's sleep. I know, convenient.

I got us to the start line early by the Rogue's standards, though the press releases said to be there by 6.45 for a 7.30 race start. We tried to find the hot Mexi-American in her designated corral to no avail. I think she started farther ahead than she was supposed too. 22 minutes after the start of the race we crossed the start line. Off we were, past the zoo (with an elephant watching us crazy two-legged creatures running without any predators in sight), through town and into Speedway and onto 2.5 miles of race track. Off the track and back into town across the river and into Victory Mile.

Just before the race track I caught up with the hot Mexi-American and her hot friend. I chatted with them awhile, congratulated both on their good pacing and then carried on my way.

I was feeling good.
No real pain.
No issues. It was a nice feeling to just jog along at a 10 min/mile pace. I walked the aid stations and quickly took off once my drink was done. I picked it up a little at then end and had plenty of gas left. I felt good.

A 2.13 and some change. Not bad for not running for 2 months. My friends all finished about where they wanted too. It was a good day for all.

The Rogue and I had a friend (Red) come to visit from Columbia and we had more drinks that night. We drank at the Beaver (Red had not been there), Jillians and watch the big fight and then down to the Slippery Noodle for a bands. Back to the hotel we went around 3.30am. Sunday morning came and back home we did drive.

It was a good weekend. i took the prescribed few days off from running and then started back into my routine  with some fast 400m repeats (1.36 - 1.47). There will not be a lot of hard running this month as I am trying to build base back again.

In 2 weeks is the Buffalo Trace 5 mile trail where the Running Doc ran during an appendicitis attack and Alison captured a third place age group trophy. I think I will run it again. It is a fun trail run. It won't be as much fun without the 2 of them, but still a nice run through the meadows, over streams and under the leafy canopy of trees. (Thoreau/Whitman have nothing on me). Then hopefully, I'll continue on for a longer run after that.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I felt like I had a lot on my chest. Here is to a good racing season to all of you. On that note, I just wanted to copy something here that I read on another type of blog I follow. I have no idea who wrote it or when. I know the blog I saw it on is not the original author. But here it is -

Take a step back. Fucking look at yourself. You are human. You are beautiful. You are so beautiful. And you can be anything. You can be everythingDon't hate everyone because someone broke your heart, Or because you parents split up, or your best friend betrayed you ,your father hit you, the kid down the street called you fat, ugly, stupid, worthlessDo not concern yourself with things you can not control. Cry when you need to , then let go when it's time. Don't hang onto painful memories because your too afraid to forget. Let go of things that are in the past. Forget things that aren't worth remembering. Stop taking things for granted. Stop taking life for granted. Live for something. Live for yourself. Fall in love. Fall out of love. Fall in love. Fall out of love.Do this over and over until you know what it really takes to love someone. Question things. Tell people how you really feel. Sleep under the stars. CreateImagineInspire. Share something wonderful. Meet new peopleMake someone's dayFollow your dreams. Live your life to its full potential. Just live dammitLet go of all the horrible things in your life and just f●●king live. And one day, when your old, look back with no regrets.


- the beginning of the end

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Great job on the race! I told you to bring it the other day. I might have to worry! There's no telling what will happen when you train and hydrate properly. :) Six beers, really? I can't even drink one and run the next morning.

Unknown said...

When I train and hydrate properly I will run side by side with you for an entire race like in the old days.